What is Container Lashing?
Container lashing is the standard process that deals with protecting the containers while boarding ships. In contrast, de-lashing is a process dealing with the containers in-securing post the transportation completion. It’s nonetheless a hazardous task in the marine cargo handling sector. Twist-locks, lashing rods, and turnbuckles are used for safeguarding the containers by smoothly accommodating them in the structure of a ship during its loading. It stops the container movement and the risk of falling into the sea amidst the windy weather. Container lashing is a complex physical job, and it’s advised to stretch your muscles well before starting the work. Approach us for all your container lashing & packing requirements. Being the first-class Packing Solutions services provider in India, we deliver the best results using the best Packing Materials.
Who does the Container Lashing?
The sea-borne trading across the world concerning the shipping industry has an estimated value of 52%. It stands at the peak position in comparison to another trading. Stevedores are generally accountable for correctly conducting the process of lashing and de-lashing works at ports. But, the deck crew is equally liable for performing such operations due to time constraints.
A ship crew typically handles the task of container de-lashing before the port arrival. The whole motive behind this is to save time & instantly release the containers once the berthing is completed. The crew at the ship inspects the container lashing daily. Being alert & proactive like this ensures safety with zero accidents that might occur because of inappropriate lashing.
9 Important points to be noted for safe lashing and de-lashing
- Wear a back support belt and consider using your knees for lifting. It’s also recommended to wear the entire kit of PPE – Personal protective equipment like a hard helmet, reflective vest, steel toe shoes, and gloves.
- It would be best if you were extra careful when walking beside a ship because of its tripping & dangerous structure. Stay cautious enough to save yourself from slipping, tripping, or falling when vacating the boat through the gangway and carrying loads.
- Pay extra attention when you walk through the rods & twist locks while working. Make sure to keep the lashing devices in their designated areas.
- It’s strictly advised to stay away from electrical appliances and power cords.
- Proper scanning of the railings, catwalks, work platforms, and steps must be done before you start working.
- Make sure to save the lashing and additional materials through the hatch’s top before removing it.
- Make sure to maintain a considerable distance while working on the container, lashing and de-lashing with your coworkers. If you avoid carrying such gaps, then long rods might prove to be dangerous for everybody present there.
- Never put the rods in a hanging state or misplace a turnbuckle. Fasten up the turnbuckle instantly as soon as you secure a rod & prefer working in groups. Perform your job in groups while dealing with rods and turnbuckles. Take the bars up, slide them downwards and regulate the rod.
- Defected lashing gear, the inadequate railing of the ship, and other inefficient structure in the procedure needs to be reported immediately.
Several container lashing incidents have taken the lives of seafarers in the past. Some of them also use wooden boxes because they are renewable, sustainable, and recyclable. Fine wooden Boxes have more decorative or artistic applications. They can also be used and lashed in a cargo container. Taking care of the cargo containers is not simple & indeed requires prior practices to perform it without committing any danger. Avoid walking inside the suspended loads like gantry & hanging containers. You need to pay additional focus upon the reefer containers so that the plug & unplug while loading or unloading can smoothly take place in coordination. Get the best packing solution from us!